Enrolment of Croats outside the Republic of Croatia for undergraduate university studies at Faculty of Croatian Studies in the academic year 2023/2024
The University of Zagreb has signed an agreement with the Central State Office for Croats Abroad which stipulates the issuance of enrolment quotas for Croats located outside of Croatia with the aim of returning Croats and Croatian descendants to Croatia as well as taking positive action to assist Croatian youth to stay in Croatia. The aim focuses on positive long-term demographic and economic progress as well as the positive general progress of Croatian society. The signing of this agreement occurred following the III. Plenary Session of the Croatian Government Council for Croats outside Croatia held on 10 December 2016 in Vukovar, which concluded that it was necessary to provide special enrolment quotas for younger generations of Croats outside the Republic of Croatia for their enrolment at universities in the Republic of Croatia and to provide study scholarships for members of Croatian minorities and/or Croatian emigrants.
Therefore, the Senate of the University of Zagreb has confirmed a special quota for these candidates, subsequently all faculties will conduct qualification assessments for them in accordance with the special terms of enrolment. The envisaged special enrolment quotas refer to the two categories as defined in Article 2 of the Croatian Interethnic Relations Act (NN 124/11, 16/12): to members of the Croatian minority in European countries (Republic of Austria, Republic of Serbia, Republic of Slovenia, The Slovak Republic, Romania, the Republic of Macedonia, Hungary, the Italian Republic, Montenegro, the Czech Republic, the Republic of Kosovo and the Republic of Bulgaria) and to Croatian immigrants in overseas and European countries and their descendants.
Information about enrolment of younger generations Croats outside the Republic of Croatia for undergraduate university studies at Faculty of Croatian Studies at the University of Zagreb
Number of envisaged places for enrolment of Croats outside Croatia at the Faculty of Croatian Studies is as follows:
|Demography and the Croatian Diaspora
|Philosophy and Culture
|Education Sciences (Pedagogy)
At the Faculty of Croatian Studies at the undergraduate level it is possible to study:
- One major (single major) in: Communicology, Croatology, Education Sciences (Pedagogy), History, Psychology, Sociology or
- a combination of two studies (double major) selected from the following: Demography and the Croatian Diaspora, Philosophy and Culture, Communicology, Croatology, History, Education Sciences (Pedagogy) and Sociology.
Applications for enrolment and entrance interview
Applicants may submit their applications for enrolment into the first year of undergraduate study:
- in the first intake period until Sunday July 9, 2023, at 23.59, in accordance with Central European summer time.
- in the second intake period until Sunday September 10, 2023, at 23.59, in accordance with Central European summer time.
Applications are submitted via an electronic application that can be accessed here.
In the application, it is necessary to enclose the following:
1. domicile or an extract from the Book of Croatian Nationals (if the applicant is a Croatian citizen) or a certificate / proof of foreign nationality (if the applicant is a foreign national),
2. declaration of Croatian heritage (if the candidate does not have a Croatian citizenship, a declaration statement form can be accessed here),
3. motivation letter (in Croatian, English, Castilian / Spanish or German),
4. certificates for the last four grades of high school,
5. certificate of knowledge of Croatian at level B2 or C1 or C2 (if the candidate has such).
Incomplete and improper applications will not be considered.
Terms of entry:
1. Certificate of belonging to the Croatian nation issued by the Central State Office for Croats outside the Republic of Croatia (Pantovčak 258, 10000 Zagreb, email@example.com, https://hrvatiizvanrh.gov.hr)
2. completed four-years of secondary school, ie the last four years, within at least twelve years of schooling;
3. readiness to move to Zagreb and attend classes in Croatian.
Applicants who meet the above-mentioned enrolment requirements will gain an interview in which their motivation for studying in Croatia will be discussed and their knowledge of the Croatian language evaluated through conversation. The interview will take place via a video call or live at Faculty of Croatian Studies, Borongajska cesta 83d, Zagreb, between July 12 and 14, 2023 in the first intake period, or between September 13 and 15, 2023, in the second intake period.
Evaluation Criteria for Enrolment rankings for Study Programs for applicants classified as Croats outside the Republic of Croatia:
1. 50% relates to the applicant’s overall success in high school outside of Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina, i.e. in the last four years in the framework of at least twelve years of schooling (proof of the candidate's certificate for each grade of secondary school);
2. 25% relates to motivation (demonstrated through a motivational letter and interview discussion via video call or live with a member of the Board of Trustees);
3. 25% - knowledge of the Croatian language (evidence of knowledge of Croatian level B2, C1 or C2 or conversation via video call or live with a member of the Board of Trustees.) A candidate who cannot demonstrate Croatian at the level B2, as a condition for enrolment in second year of study, they will have to pass a Croatian language class.
Entrants will sign a declaration upon enrolment that they can attend classes in Croatian language.
The provisional list of candidates will be published on July 14, 2023 on the Faculty of Croatian Studies website. Within 48 hours of the publication of the temporary rank list, the applicants have the right to object to their position on it. The objection is to be submitted to the Faculty of Croatian Studies exclusively by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org from the e-mail address provided by the applicant in its application.
Incomplete complaints and complaints from other addresses will not be considered.
The closing list of candidates will be published on July 17, 2023 on the University Department of Croatian Studies website.
Deadlines for all applicants who have acquired the right to enrol:
Entries into 1st year undergraduate university studies at the Faculty of Croatian Studies will be from July 17 to 26, 2023.
For further information about the study programs available at Croatian Studies: https://www.hrstud.unizg.hr/en/study
For help completing the application and collecting documentation, feel free to contact us at: email@example.com